Sunday, April 13, 2014

Sparing the Rod and Spoiling the Child

Let's just pretend for a second that it is December 1, 2013, and I'm updating all of you on Rhett's first birthday "yesterday." It was so much fun! My in-laws came in town for Thanksgiving and we had a lovely dinner with turkey, gravy, stuffing, and green beans. Rhett had his first bite of it all and actually ate something for a change. On Friday morning, my mom and stepdad flew in to celebrate Rhett's birthday. Jesse and I ordered him a sandbox from Amazon and it came in Friday night. When Jesse saw how small the box was, he immediately said we need to take it back. "Rhett needs a BIG sandbox. I'm going to make him one myself." With our eyes rolled as far back into our heads as they could go, we all skeptically asked him how he was going to manage that. He doesn't have a saw...or tools...or wood...or sand...or experience in woodworking. In a very non-committal tone he replies, "I'm gonna do it." "Okay, whatever, Jesse," was everyone's absent response and we went back to watching tv. The next morning, ("yesterday") I woke up early to find Jesse in the garage cutting wood to make a sandbox.  He had gone and bought himself a saw, tools, wood, AND sand! By noon Rhett had a brand new, home made sandbox in the backyard. Everyone was impressed with Jesse's woodworking abilities and I was too mad at him for turning what was once a $50 gift for an over-active, uninvested toddler into a gift whose price is too painful to think about to be impressed. But, Rhett had a big present to "open" on his birthday along with the fifty million other gifts the grandparents got him. I'm not sure, but I think my child might be a bit...spoiled. Our good friends Nikki and Tim came to share in the celebration and we ate mac and cheese, burger sliders, and cupcakes. Rhett got his own little cake of course because I thought I'd ruin my child a little more by overindulging. We're gonna work on it.

Jesse grilled our turkey and it was SO good!
 
Rhett's little Thanksgiving portion

He ate the whole thing...I think. Maybe Ralph Otis did.

 
Wow, spoiled much?
Already knows what to do. Brattiness is an inherent trait.


Rhett's new sandbox
Now let's jump ahead and pretend it is January 3, 2014 and we just got back from our Georgia trip. Georgia was so much fun! Rhett had a good time with seeing his grandparents and great grandmother. His first Christmas was in 2012, but he was only 3 weeks old, so I like to think of this as his first Christmas because he was more aware. Christmas morning, we woke up and opened presents at Mamaw's (my mom's) house. Rhett got lots of stocking toys and a toy iPhone, iPad, and a stuffed bee that makes too much noise all day long and comes equipped with a motion sensor so when you walk by it or say something in a slightly loud tone, it will start singing and buzzing for you right after you put your toddler to sleep. Thanks, Mamaw! Fortunately, it is one of his favorites and it keeps him quiet, so I guess that bee's buzzing is less annoying than Rhett's whining. Later that afternoon, we went to Mama J's house and ate dinner and opened more presents. That night Rhett started to walk! He had been taking small steps around the house for the past few weeks, but Christmas night, he officially became a walker and never looked back. I look back often to the time when he was immobile with fond, fond memories, but he just keeps going. A few days before Christmas, I had dinner with my dad and stepmom since my dad would be out of town for Christmas day. Rhett got tons of presents there, too. By the time it was all said and done, Rhett had walked away with a huge loot leaving Jesse and I in a state of parental relinquishment. Our goal was to buy Rhett two, maybe three gifts each year with an emphasis on service and giving as the true meaning of Christmas. But, after three sets of grandparents, three sets of great-grandparents, uncles, uncles' in-laws, and friends got done showering our precious angel with gifts, our goal of teaching charity went right out the window. Because of his big haul, Jesse and I decided not to get him anything for Christmas. That's right, we didn't get our child anything for Christmas and I don't even feel bad about it. After his birthday spoils and his Christmas booty, we decided it was too much. We need to bring this little guy down to size before his expectations get too large and our bank account gets too empty.


 
Rhett learning to walk on Christmas Day

Silly Uncle Will doesn't know how to hold babies
This kid always makes this face and we don't know why
 With that being said, it is now April and Jesse has a week off this week. To commemorate the occasion, Jesse wanted to buy Rhett a Radio Flyer wagon. No, it is not his half birthday, and no we aren't trying to make it up to him for Christmas. It was just Tuesday and Jesse thought Rhett should have one. Seriously? For two parents who are trying to keep their kid grounded in reality, we sure are doing a horrible job. But, he really loves his wagon and is actually still when we put him in it. So, maybe this wasn't such a bad investment.
Rhett with his seal AND killer whale


My mom and stepdad came last week for a visit and took him to SeaWorld. He LOVED it! He was especially into the carousel ride. And because Rhett just couldn't "decide" which stuffed animal to bring home from the park, he convinced my mom with his eyes to get both. He's good...he's real good. And so, with the ongoing acquiescence of his ever faithful admirers side-stepping my every effort to humble this little man, one song is sung often and loudly through the duration of each fit he pitches, "You Can't Always Get What you Want." Thank you, Mick Jagger, for writing the theme song to my life.

Prince Rhett


No comments:

Post a Comment