Sunday, March 25, 2012

A New Beginning

Today I am starting a blog. I typically don't believe in blogs. I used to think (and by "used to" I mean like 5 days ago) that blogs were extremely boring accounts of people's lives and that they were really self-centered in believing that people actually wanted to read them. I mean, unless you have a riveting daily life filled with numerous activities that involve fashion shows, world travel, book signings, or your attempting each recipe in Julia Child's French cookbook, what is the point? Who cares? Well, my views changed after reading a few of my friends' blogs and saw that it wasn't about the followers or the hope of getting your own movie rights, it was about recording your life for yourself, your family, and the people who care about what's going on in your life, whether it be tediously boring or surprisingly action packed. Now, everyone who is reading this (which is probably like 1 person) you may be thinking, "Duh, Kaylee. You're just now figuring this out?" But it takes me a while to jump onto any band wagon as I am a very skeptical person. It took years for me to realize that an iPod is actually very convenient and I should buy one so that I can listen to music without toting around a disc man. So if no one ever lays eyes on this blog, fine by me. This is an account of my life as it is today and how I am coping with being a house wife living in Texas and finding my way in strange state with strange people and adjusting to the southwestern lifestyle.

With all that being said, right now my husband and I are living in Washington, DC. We have been living here for almost 3 years. It was a big adjustment for me living in a highly educated, fast-moving, liberal area where everything is politically incorrect and everyone has the manners of street rats. But, despite the culture shock, I was able to make great friends and lasting relationships with some very strong, independent women in the church and outside of it.  Friday was my last day working as an office assistant  at Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes. I was unhappy there for a very long time and was happy that my last day finally came. However, I was not expecting the farewell that I received on Friday and friendship I felt there that day. My favorite person at work and office manager there, Marquisa, threw me a fabulous potluck luncheon. It was supposed to be a surprise, but one of the co-workers told me he couldn't make it to the potluck but I will be missed. I, of course, was like "what potluck?" And he felt like a jerk, which he was, and Marquisa was furious!! However, despite the spoiled surprise, there were many more in store. My best friend Lynette showed up with her new baby and the room was decorated beautifully with pink, yellow, and green accents and peeps on the table as decor. There was so much yummy food and everyone sat around the table eating and enjoying such a fantastic luncheon. I was given a card with well wishes from my co-workers and at the end of the day, they all got together and "clapped me out" as we do at Lindamood-Bell. It was a surprisingly tearful farewell and I couldn't believe the amazing send-off I was given. I will miss Lindamood-Bell and the people who encompassed my life for 2 years. I hope we can stay in touch.

Now that I no longer work there, I am now a house wife. Wow, that 's a weird word to say. I have never not had a job and now I don't know what to do with myself. I guess I'll start a blog ;) and do lots of crafts and participate in service projects at church and lunch with the new friends I make in Texas. But for now, we are working on the move. In April, we are going to San Diego for a month while J does his rotation there. I will of course be sitting by the beach and eating at cafes and learning French for when we go to France in May. So this week, I will be cleaning the house and getting it ready for the property manager to show it to potential renters while we are in SD. That will keep me busy all week and I even have an iPad app to help me organize the tasks efficiently. After San Diego, France, and after France, J's graduation and after graduation we are moving to Texas! I have to say I am less than thrilled to be moving there. I will miss my friends here as it takes me a while to make them anywhere that I go. I am now worried I will move to TX and no one will know who I am and I will be an insignificant fish in a humongous Texan pond. No job, no friends, no family. It's daunting, but I hope that with this blog I can sort my way through it and chronicle my new life and adjustment from being a Georgia Peach to a Texas Lone Star. Wish me luck!!

2 comments:

  1. Kaylee! I'm so excited about your blog! I have one, but, unfortunately, I don't update it nearly as much as I should :/ I felt exactly the same way about them though...

    I wish that Texas wasn't quite so big, because it would be so nice to see a familiar face from Georgia! Hopefully we will get to see each other eventually...I really miss you and think about you often. Are y'all going to an Air Force base in San Antonio (I don't really know where all the AF bases are...)? And why are you going to France? I'm so jealous!!

    Anyway, let me know if you guys ever want to take a road trip to El Paso! You're more than welcome to stay with us anytime :} Looking forward to keeping in touch through the wonderful world of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy to see you in the blogging world. It is nice to know what is going on with you...like you are going to France?? Holy cow that is awesome! Also...you should use your phone more now that you are not working. Just saying. :)

    ReplyDelete