Tuesday, March 27, 2012

"Excuse the Mess, but We Live Here"

Yesterday was Day 1 of the housecleaning project, and I have to say, Jesse and I can really pack it in. I can't believe how much trash and clothing we have accumulated in the past 3 years! I spent half of my day organizing closets, storing away old clothes, and laundry and the other half finding and collecting the hub's multitude of socks. How many freaking socks can one man have? And what are they doing in every nook and cranny of this house? I swear he comes home, takes off his shoes, and removes one sock in the guest bedroom and the other in a desk drawer. Oh well, if the world is destroyed by an ice storm, at least our feet will be warm. Anyway, after the Great Sock Chase ended, I was actually able to get a lot done. See below.



Ok, so this may look really bad but this is actually a job well done. The piles of laundry on the floor and the ceiling are all clean! Now I just need to fold it. That may or may not get done this week...or ever. We'll see.


During one of my breaks, I was able to catch up on a show I sometimes watch called GCB. It's a show about these "christian" women in Texas who are mean to this one woman who was mean to them in high school and are trying to get back at her. I, of course, am no stranger when it comes to Christian hypocrisy in a small southern town so I find this show to be quite entertaining as it rings so true. On this particular episode, someone threw a party in which the theme was for everyone to dress up as their favorite Texan in history. As I was watching the show and saw people dressed as Laura Bush, Farrah Fawcett, Mary Kay, etc...I couldn't help but be reminded of why outsiders don't like Texas. Everyone I've spoken with has said the exact same thing, that Texans are WAY too proud to be from Texas. They think the only state that exists is their own and that no other can compare. But what I don't get is why? California has way more to offer in my personal opinion. It has mountains, beaches, cool weather, beautiful trees and plants, great restaurants, amazing scenery, great shopping, and also an occasional movie star. And yet I never hear any Californian say that they are the best. They are never annoying people with their greatness even though they actually are great. But I guess they don't feel the need. As Winston Churchill once said, "There is no need to boast of your accomplishments and what you can do, a great man (or in this case, state) is known, [it] needs no introduction." Texas, on the other hand, is constantly boasting. And what do they have to offer? I couldn't say. Hot climates? Flat, desert-like land? Scorpions and cattle drives? Hmmm...I guess I''ll have to find out what is so great about it and get back to you. It might just be an acquired taste that I will soon find attractive. I don't mean to knock the state...ok, I do...but I'm sure there is a lot I can learn there and love there. Today my friends and I are going to Cafe Rio to get a feel for the Texas culture. Not really. We just love Cafe Rio and go every week. But I know the people are very friendly in Texas so that is a major perk and maybe one day in the future I will find myself at a Favorite Texan party dressed as Anna Nicole Smith :)



3 comments:

  1. I feel exactly the same way about Texas lol! But, as our wives club motto says, "Bloom where you're planted." :}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...that's some really good advice. I will have to keep that in mind. Thank you, Ashley :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't blame jesse i heard dogs like to hide socks. I know I'm missing a bunch!

    ReplyDelete